Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Looking Forward - "Medicine for Melancholy"



I get excited about movies all the time, but rarely this excited. I love movies about people, as opposed to movies about the explosions happening around people, or the wacky/outlandish love triangle they end up in because their dead girlfriend comes back as a hilarious and wisecracking ghost. I love movies that feel like a camera just happened to be rolling as these people were living their lives. I also love movies that look different, and while "Medicine for Melancholy" isn't rewriting the book on how a film should look, it does have a very beautiful muted color pallet. And I especially love when comedians take serious roles. I want to clarify that I'm not saying there won't be funny parts. I'm saying that the comedian, in this case Wyatt Cenac of The Daily Show fame, is playing a character that happens to be funny rather than a funny character. The movie looks gorgeous, and right up my alley.

No comments: