Friday, October 26, 2007

Grinding gears with "Grindhouse"

Just as a forward to these thought train, not all the tracks have been laid. This is something I just started thinking about. I didn't see it/them in theaters, so that might change things as well, but I've finally seen the two parts of "Grindhouse": "Death Proof" and "Planet Terror." The first film "Death Proof" is directed and written by Quentin Tarantino, and the second is "Planet Terror" directed and written by Robert Rodriguez. Just as an overall, I felt like "Planet Terror" was the more successful of the two films. Anyways, the more I think about it the less and less I like the duo's revival of "The Grindhouse." My problem is that they did it so fucking literally, "ooh, I know what will be clever, we'll digitally add fake film grain and light spots, ooh, hooray, we're so witty and hilarious, lets go blow each other in the corner." I really don't know why I'm being so bitter about this, but thinking back to it, watching them was such a fluff and fuck experience. It was fun while it lasted... but it was just so on the fucking surface. If you want to talk about fucking amazing B movie, see Evil Dead by Sam Raimi or "Dead Alive" by Peter Jackson, which were both done while both were in relative obscurity, and they were both done when they didn't have big budgets or big support, they just had so much heart (and violence). When I think about Grindhouse, it's two amazing film makers, with lots of money saying "remember what it was like to make movies when we were poor?" "haha, yeah, that was silly, lets do a gimmick on that, tee hee." There's just can't get behind it, it's got character, and charm, but the more I think about it the more manufactured it feels. I realize that this was a big cluster fuck of ideas, but maybe someone will read this and glean what I'm trying to say.

No comments: