Monday, November 3, 2008

Welp

Okay kids, here we go. My name is JD, I'm 22 years old, and I love movies. As I'm writing this it's 1:44am on election day, November 4th, 2008. The two major candidates up for election are Senator John McCain and Senator Barack Obama. Right now, I have no idea what will happen. If John McCain wins I have already planned for ways of hiding my tears in class in the days following the election. I'm planning on being at my polling place around 6am. I realize polls don't open till 7am, but I just want to get it done and over with. After I vote I will take a deep breath and think about how different my country will be depending how who is elected. I will also think about how many of us on a basic level distrust and sometimes despise each other. I'll think about how some people believe that health care is a privilege, and not a right. I will think about how at that moment as I walk out of my polling place, somewhere, someone is being killed. Somewhere a person that had hopes and dreams, a mother and father, good times with their friends, bad days at work, angry ex lovers as well as satisfied new lovers, somewhere, that person is dying. A life is being extinguished and I'll be worried about not having my homework done for my 10am class. That person is dying and Barack Obama is whining about the keating five, and John McCain is blubbering about William Ayers. Don't we have bigger fish to fry? Shouldn't we remind this dying person that they're not alone, and that none of us are ever really alone? But what does it matter, they'll be dead soon and they won't feel anything, so why should we? Don't we have bigger fish to fry? We've gotta save our country. Will any revelation I have now at 2am make any kind of difference within myself? In 24 hours I'll be hopped up on sugar and pizza with my eyes glued to MSNBC and that person will be dead. And eventually, so will we all, so what does it matter?

No comments: