Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Extreme Ends

I was asked to join one of my friends in front of the capitol (of Lansing) this year, specifically on September 11th. He asked me if I wanted to help him pass out literature regarding 9/11 and how it might have been an "inside job." I've seen "Loose Change," I've even got a "9/11 was an inside job" sticker. I just don't know if I can completely trust any side enough to say I believe in one or the other. The facts are this, I saw a video report on CNN when I was in high school that said the twin towers had been struck by airplanes and that they later collapsed from these hits. I have been to New York and seen the memorial site at "ground zero." Ultimately though, I'm basing all of my information, besides those few pieces that I experienced personally, on reports from other people. It is just as likely that "9/11 was an inside job," as it is the government created these conspiracy groups. In the book "1984" by George Orwell, a place was described where all the information people received was from a central organization. This central organization spoke of wars and terrorist attacks and other such things. The people believed it because they were told to believe it. Today, most people get all of their information about the rest of the world from news agencies, blogs, web videos, or whatever. All these places are telling us that they've got the real story, and that we should trust them. I'm not saying you should avoid these things, but be willing to ask all the questions you can because ultimately only you can define your own truth. Basically, I will never be able to completely trust either side of the "9/11 was an inside job" story because one side will be always be telling me what they want me to hear, and the other side will be telling me what I want to hear. In my gut, I do believe that there was a tragic loss of good people on a massive scale that day and that while I talk about conspiracy theories and such I intend no mockery of their pain or loss. To paraphrase The Joker, tragedy is like gravity, sometimes all it takes is a little push. 9/11 was the push, and Iraq is our tragedy. Who knows.

No comments: