Thursday, August 14, 2008

Learning To Accept

Being back in Marquette has made me realize some things. I used to come back and people would be in the same place they were when I left. Doing the same thing, drinking the same drinks, eating the same foods, laughing at the same jokes. I used to think "How sad, they're still here, I'm trying, but they're just lying down and taking it." I'm realizing how incredibly insensitive I was being. Whatever their life is, it is their life to live, and they seem happy. Maybe I'm the sad one always reaching for the next thing, rather than being happy with what is right in front of me. I don't want it to sound like it's good to let go of your dreams or to give up, but if your happy, be happy. Who am I to feel sadness for someone who has found happiness. They've found it. It's not what I want, but why can't I just be happy for someone simply because they're happy. Why do I always feel the need to quantify someone's success? Why do I need to assign achieved degrees, and job titles to someone to prove to myself that they're happy? Just because they don't have some things, doesn't mean they don't have it all. I apologize.

No comments: